About Tropic Biosciences
Based in Norwich (UK) and with a team of over 115 professionals, Tropic Biosciences is one of the world’s leading agricultural gene-editing companies. Our team is dedicated to the development and commercialization of high-performing varieties of tropical crops to provide significant benefits to growers, processors and consumers globally.
Tropic’s vision is to become a dominant seed business with significant ownership of its products from the laboratory to the field, while maintaining constructive relationships with growers and consumers based on transparency and trust.
What we are looking for
The GEiGS (genome-editing induced gene silencing) team develops and deploys the core technology of Tropic Biosciences. We use genome-editing tools to redirect RNA-silencing genes (e.g. miRNAs) to novel targets, including pests and pathogens, to develop disease-resistant plants!
The team works at the interface between molecular biology, plant transformation, and bioinformatics, and we are looking for a new Laboratory Technician to support research projects across these three areas. You will carry out a wide variety of protocols in the laboratory and will use and develop your computational skills to improve our GEiGS® pipeline, which designs GEiGS® molecules for world-leading agriculture companies.
- Design, clone, and verify genome-editing plasmids
- Transform plants with genome-editing plasmids, and regenerate them using tissue culture
- Identify edited plants using high-throughput genotyping techniques
- Phenotype edited plants using molecular techniques and bioassays
- Execute protocols following training and SOPs closely
- Develop SOPs based on optimised workflows
- Generate accurate records of your work and results using an electronic lab notebook
- Collaborate across multiple projects to help the team reach their goals
- Train and support other team members as needed
- BSc degree with additional experience/MSc in Plant Sciences, Biochemistry, Biology, or related field
- Good knowledge of basic molecular biology techniques (e.g. cloning, PCR, bacterial transformation, nucleic acid extraction)
- Time management skills, comfortable working in a fast-paced and dynamic team environment
- Organised and precise, able to produce accurate records and presentations
- Strong communication skills, able to report and discuss complex problems clearly
- Motivated self-starter with troubleshooting experience
- Fluent in English – speaking and writing
- 1-3 years professional experience in a research environment (academic or commercial)
- Good computational skills, especially for data analyses and visualisation
- Experience with Molecular Biology programs, such as Snapgene, Geneious
- Job Location – Norwich UK
- Time Requirement – Full Time
- Compensation – We offer a competitive compensation package to successful candidates
- Benefits – 25 days annual leave, Private Medical Insurance through Vitality, Medical Cash Plan and Group Income Protection Scheme, as well as excellent learning and training opportunities and social events throughout the year
If you meet the above criteria, we would be happy to hear from you. Please apply here