About Tropic Biosciences
Based in Norwich (UK) and with a team of over 115 professionals, Tropic Biosciences is one of the world’s leading agricultural gene-editing companies. Our team is dedicated to the development and commercialization of high-performing varieties of tropical crops to provide significant benefits to growers, processors and consumers globally.
Tropic’s vision is to become a dominant seed business with significant ownership of its products from the laboratory to the field, while maintaining constructive relationships with growers and consumers based on transparency and trust.
What we are looking for
We are looking for an experienced plant scientist/ plant biology expert to lead the trait development initiatives in Rice team. You will be working on developing and implementing genome editing and GEiGS technology for trait development in Rice. You will be leading a team of 4-6 Research Associates/Technicians working on plant tissue culture and transformation for trait development in rice.
You will be required to supervise a team of research associates and technicians working in plant transformation. The successful candidate must be able to independently work on developing the project plans, design and execute experiments, run multiple projects according to the timelines and write project reports. You will be required to work in a cross functional environment, coordinate with different scientists/ teams to get desired results in a timely manner. You will be required to engage in internal / external discussion related to technology development and transfer, make presentations to internal and external stakeholders.
Key responsibilities include:
- Genome editing/ Trait development in crops/ Field assays/ Crop Breeding
- Independent planning and execution of projects
- Leading a team of Research Associates/Technicians
- To carry out experiments in the lab and be “hands on” in troubleshooting technical issues to support the technicians
- Design and execute experimental project plans
- Delivery of projects within specified timelines
- Coordinate with cross functional teams
- Work in compliance with safety, quality and stewardship
Additional responsibilities include:
- Compiles, interpret and reviews multiple experimental records/reports providing relevant summary information into wider reports with limited level of review. May contribute to the budget process for area/project/ activity of responsibility.
- May contribute to decisions on technical strategy, redesign/ termination of projects.
- Recognizes importance and commercial value of IP. Able to identify space to operate within patent protected areas. Able to recognize and record the generation and context of new IP and evaluate its potential.
- PhD in Plant Biology, Plant Sciences, Plant Physiology, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology/Agronomy/Genetics or any other related discipline.
- experience in trait development for crop species.
- Experience with different breeding technologies and field assays is desirable.
- Abreast with genome editing, vector design, RNAi, molecular biology and microscopy techniques.
- Proactive and work with compliance in lab safety, biosafety, quality and stewardship.
- Knowledge and experience in working with MS Office, LIMS or any other lab data management system is desirable.
- Ideally, a minimum 3-5 years of post- PhD experience and have a proven record of managing a team/project.
- A good attitude and be a team player.
- Strong communication skills, both written and oral.
- Self-motivation, ownership and focused execution.
- A collaborative approach, open to giving and receiving ideas, perspectives and feedback.
- Job Location – Norwich UK
- Time Requirement – Full Time
- Compensation – We offer a competitive compensation package to successful candidates
- Benefits – 25 days annual leave, Private Medical Insurance through Vitality, Medical Cash Plan and Group Income Protection Scheme, as well as excellent learning and training opportunities and social events throughout the year