About Tropic Biosciences
Based in Norwich (UK), Tropic Biosciences is a leading agricultural biotechnology company dedicated to developing and commercialising high-performing varieties of tropical crops which provide significant benefits to growers, processors and consumers. Tropic’s vision is to become a leading seed business with significant ownership of its products from the laboratory to the field, while maintaining constructive relationships with growers and consumers based on transparency and trust.
What we are looking for
We are looking for an experienced scientist and outstanding manager to lead our Bioinformatics team at Tropic. The team is responsible for driving our efforts to develop novel genome editing platforms and product pipelines. You will work closely with other teams to answer applied biological questions by performing genome-scale computational and statistical analyses. Your background must demonstrate a proven ability to lead a team of Bioinformaticians and work collaboratively to provide high quality research in a timely manner.
Your primary role will be to manage a multi-disciplinary group of bioinformaticians, developing them and their goals as well as directing the team to deliver on business objectives.
Our bioinformatics scope is relatively diverse, spanning areas such as host/pathogen analysis, disease indications, sequence analysis, comparative genomics, pathways and networks, gene and regulatory RNA expression and text mining. The successful candidate will be responsible for defining our approach to biological data; from sample collection through data generation to analysis in order to produce scientific insights and answer important questions for internal and external customers. Although this is not a ‘hands on’ role, you will need to have a thorough understanding of bioinformatics to be able to ensure that the team supports our R&D programmes, and to develop new strategic initiatives to grow Tropic’s informatics platform.
The Bioinformatics Lead will be based at our R&D site in Norwich, and will contribute to projects at all phases of the pipeline from initial design to field trials. You should feel comfortable working in a fast pace, dynamic environment, and be able to communicate complex informatics principles, methods, analyses and results to professionals from diverse backgrounds.
Highly sought attributes include:
- PhD Degree in Bioinformatics, Data Science or relevant genetic data-focused discipline, preferably with 3-5 years postdoc experience.
- Industry experience in managing a team of data scientists, with significant people management capabilities and proven ability to deliver projects to high standards within agreed time frames.
- Deep understanding of genomics and molecular genetics - specialist experience in plants and plant pests is a significant advantage.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to easily form productive relationships.
- Strong scientific curiosity, innovative thinking and focused execution.
- Team Leadership – Planning and providing the Data Science capability and team structure to support and deliver projects in line with the company objectives. Responsible for the management and development of the team. Developing and implementing strategies and plans to support, contribute to, and integrate with, the organisation's annual business plan and long-term strategy.
- Lifecycle Management– Providing a structured technical framework for management of Tropic’s Information Science tools and infrastructure from Initial feasibility to obsolescence.
- Programme support – Supporting project planning and execution, ensuring that assumptions on technical approach, timescales and resource needs are realistic and helping the team to overcome obstacles to success
- Team Development – Using established Tropic procedures, ensuring that all team members have the training and support infrastructure in place to ensure they are effective within their roles. This will also include regular performance monitoring sessions, assessing performance and giving key input to salary reviews
- Representation - Representing the Company in key meetings with external clients and collaborators. Working with all teams in the Company to ensure that work is carried out effectively and meets the needs of the business.
- Processes – Structuring the definition, implementation and monitoring of Tropic’s processes and procedures to be in-line with the company goals and suitable for the work being carried-out
- Reporting – Defining, monitor, and report suitable group and personal progression to the Senior Management team. Direct reporting line to the Chief Science Officer.
- Communication – Providing clear communication of company strategy, ensuring the team understands the bigger picture, and the context and value for their work. Ensuring open and effective communication both within the team and with other parts of the business
- Stakeholder engagement- to be successful in this role, you need a strong ability to effectively engage and influence stakeholders (e.g. in operations, programmes and projects, management, etc). A pragmatic and collaborative approach will be essential to success in this role.
- Job Location –Norwich Research Park, Norwich, England
- Time Requirement - Full time position
- Compensation – We offer a competitive compensation package to successful candidates