About Tropic Biosciences
Based in Norwich (UK) and with a team of over 80 professionals, Tropic Biosciences is one of the world’s leading agricultural gene-editing companies. Our team is dedicated to the development and commercialization of high-performing varieties of tropical crops to provide significant benefits to growers, processors and consumers globally.
Tropic’s vision is to become a dominant seed business with significant ownership of its products from the laboratory to the field, while maintaining constructive relationships with growers and consumers based on transparency and trust.
What we are looking for
We are looking for a Lab Tech in our Molecular Biology team to implement, execute, and improve the process of sourcing material for plant transformations and to carry out work out in a timely and accurate manner. The role centers on providing high quality materials and services to our internal customers and must meet customer specifications. This role will contribute to ensuring compliance to standards of the starting material for plant transformations and to the objectives of the organization.
The candidate must have experience in general molecular biology techniques (PCR, DNA/RNA extraction) and have strong attention to details and excellent communication skills.
- Execute and monitor multiple routine processes (including QC), adhering to workflows and SOPs delivering high quality results to move materials to the next stage of the plant transformation pipeline
- Plan and execute assays following the SOP and delivering data to agreed timelines
- Work with experts to organize and perform any trouble-shooting experiments communicating findings and changes to obtain solutions to problems that may arise in development through the methods and procedures established by the company, and to contribute to the investigation of the root cause of the problems
- perform general housekeeping of the laboratories as required to ensure high quality standards are met
- monitor and coordinate the supply of laboratory essentials for the team such as plates, antibiotics, enzymes etc
- report any issues found along the process to line manager
- ensure that all records (databases and laboratory e-notebooks) are up to date
- follow and give instructions, either verbally directed or from scientific resources and SOPs
Qualification, knowledge and key skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Biology/Agriculture/Biotechnology or related subjects
- This position requires some experience of working in a lab in a relevant professional or academic environment
- Detailed record keeping
- Professional and clear verbal and written communication skills
- Good organization skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- High self-motivation demonstrated through university records and a diverse spectrum of personal interests
- Willingness to learn and to deliver
- Demonstrated relevant work experience
- Knowledge of and experience using Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Fluent in English speaking and writing
- Passionate about processes and high quality
- Job Location –Norwich Research Park, Norwich, England
- Time Requirement - Full time position.
- Compensation – We offer a competitive compensation package to successful candidates