About Tropic Biosciences
Based in Norwich (UK) and with a team of over 80 professionals, Tropic Biosciences is one of the world’s leading agricultural gene-editing companies. Our team is dedicated to the development and commercialization of high-performing varieties of tropical crops to provide significant benefits to growers, processors and consumers globally.
Tropic’s vision is to become a dominant seed business with significant ownership of its products from the laboratory to the field, while maintaining constructive relationships with growers and consumers based on transparency and trust.
What we are looking for
We are looking for a Lab Tech in our Molecular Biology team to implement, execute, and improve the process of genotyping plant material that has undergone either transient or stable transformation and to carry out the work out in a timely and accurate manner. The role centers on providing high quality service to our internal customers under the close supervision and direction of the Genotyping Lead and must meet our internal specifications and standards. This role will contribute to the molecular characterization of all plant material generated by the Plant Biotechnology Team.
The candidate must have experience in general molecular biology techniques (PCR, DNA/RNA extraction, qPCR) and have strong attention to details and excellent communication skills. This position’s key responsibilities are performing routine genotyping (PCR set up) and analysis and the scoring of the data.
- Plan and execute assays following SOPs and workflows (but also the ability to critically analyze SOPs and suggest improvements) and delivering data to agreed timelines
- Deliver high quality results and help processing and interpreting data to determine plants’ genotype
- Work with experts and line manager to organize and perform any trouble-shooting experiments, communicate findings and/or changes to obtain solutions to problems that may arise in development
- perform general housekeeping of the laboratories as required to ensure high quality standards are met
- monitor and coordinate the supply of laboratory essentials required for successful completion of the role’s tasks
- report any issues found along the process to line manager
- ensure that all records (databases and laboratory e-notebooks) are up to date
- follow and give instructions, either verbally directed or from scientific resources and SOPs
Qualification, knowledge and key skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Biology/Agriculture/Biotechnology or related subjects
- This position requires one-year experience in knowledge of DNA extraction, PCR processes, agarose gels etc., in a relevant professional or academic environment
- Detailed and accurate record keeping
- Strong and clear written and oral communication skills to allow the exchange of information with people representing a wide diversity of disciplines and levels within the organization
- Excellent organization skills
- Attention to detail
- High self-motivation demonstrated through university records and a diverse spectrum of personal interests
- Willingness to learn and to deliver
- Proficient in working with Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Fluent in English speaking and writing
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, multi-tasked environment while consistently maintaining a positive and professional attitude
- Job Location –Norwich Research Park, Norwich, England
- Time Requirement - Full time position.
- Compensation – We offer a competitive compensation package to successful candidates