About Tropic Biosciences
Based in Norwich (UK) and with a team of over 80 professionals, Tropic Biosciences is one of the world’s leading agricultural gene-editing companies. Our team is dedicated to the development and commercialization of high-performing varieties of tropical crops to provide significant benefits to growers, processors and consumers globally.
Tropic’s vision is to become a dominant seed business with significant ownership of its products from the laboratory to the field, while maintaining constructive relationships with growers and consumers based on transparency and trust.
What we are looking for
We are looking for a Lab Tech in our Molecular Biology team to execute, troubleshoot and improve the process of analyzing plant material for gene editing and genetic modification in a thorough, timely and accurate manner. The role centers on providing a high-quality, transparent, service to our internal clients under the close supervision and direction of the Genotyping Lead and must meet our internal specifications and standards. This role will contribute to the molecular characterization of all plant material generated by the Plant Biotechnology Team.
This position’s key responsibilities are performing DNA-based analysis and interpretation of the data. This will include working with experts and the line manager to organize and perform any trouble-shooting experiments, communicate findings and/or suggest changes to overcome issues in project pipelines. Successful candidates must have:
- Strong experience with genotyping-based molecular biology techniques (DNA/RNA extraction, PCR, qPCR)
- Experience designing genotyping assays (primer design, PCR design, PCR optimisation)
- Experience with interpreting DNA-based analysis (Agarose gel-based analysis, Sanger sequence analysis, qPCR analysis)
- The capability to plan and execute assays following SOPs and workflows (including critical analysis of SOPs with suggestion for improvements)
- The capability to deliver high quality results to determine plants’ genotype to agreed timelines
Strong candidates will have:
- Experience with gene editing and/or the analysis of gene edited organisms
- Experience with NGS analysis, RNAseq and bioinformatics tools
- Strong attention to details and excellent troubleshooting skills.
- Performing general housekeeping of the laboratories as required to ensure high quality standards are met
- Monitoring and coordinate the supply of laboratory essentials required for successful completion of the role’s tasks
- Reporting any issues found in pipelines and/or analysis to the line manager
- Ensuring that all records (databases and laboratory e-notebooks) are up to date
- Follow and give instructions, either verbally directed or from scientific resources and SOPs
Qualifications, knowledge and key skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Biology/Agriculture/Biotechnology or related subjects
- This position requires one-year experience in knowledge of DNA extraction, PCR processes, agarose gels etc., in a relevant professional or academic environment
- Detailed and accurate record keeping
- Strong and clear written and oral communication skills to allow the exchange of information with people representing a wide diversity of disciplines and levels within the organization
- Excellent organization skills
- Attention to detail
- High self-motivation demonstrated through university records and a diverse spectrum of personal interests
- Willingness to learn and to deliver
- Proficient in working with Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Fluent in English speaking and writing
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, multi-tasked environment while consistently maintaining a positive and professional attitude
- Job Location –Norwich Research Park, Norwich, England
- Time Requirement - Full time position.
- Compensation – We offer a competitive compensation package to successful candidates