About Tropic Biosciences
Based in Norwich (UK) and with a team of over 90 professionals, Tropic Biosciences is one of the world’s leading agricultural gene-editing companies. Our team is dedicated to the development and commercialization of high-performing varieties of tropical crops to provide significant benefits to growers, processors and consumers globally.
Tropic’s vision is to become a dominant seed business with significant ownership of its products from the laboratory to the field, while maintaining constructive relationships with growers and consumers based on transparency and trust.
What we are looking for
We are seeking an experienced Bioinformatician to support our efforts in developing novel genome editing platforms and product pipelines. The successful candidate will work closely with other investigators to answer applied biological questions by performing genome-scale computational and statistical analyses. Your background must demonstrate a proven ability to work collaboratively to provide high quality research in a timely manner.
This role is for an 18 month fixed-term contract, working on a specific project, primarily based in Cambridge.
Job Specification and Attributes Required
Your primary role will be to identify, invent, develop and implement computational biology methods to support the development of gene editing based technology and products. Our analysis scope is relatively diverse, spanning areas such as host/pathogen analysis, disease indications, sequence analysis, comparative genomics, pathways and networks, gene and regulatory RNA expression and text mining.
You will contribute to projects at all phases of the pipeline from initial design to field trials, and should feel comfortable working in a fast pace, dynamic work environment, and able to communicate complex informatics principles, methods, analyses and results to scientists from diverse backgrounds.
Key Roles & Responsibility
- Software & applications development
- Develop software or applications for scientific or technical use
- Customize existing software/applications to meet specific scientific project needs
- Test new bioinformatics tools
- Collaborate with other team members to resolve development problems
- Analyze data and process Information
- Compiling, coding, categorizing, calculating, tabulating, auditing and QC-ing information
- Curate data from publicly available resources
- Obtain data, QC and process to generate usable databases according to research goal and needs
- Consult with peer researchers in order to analyze problems, recommend technology-based solutions and determine computational strategies
- Communicate research results through R&D and/or team presentations or project reports
- Keep up to date with literature to increase computational and biological understanding and provide valuable insights
- Training and teaching
- Instruct peers in the selection and use of bioinformatics tools
- Train other team members and peers in technical or scientific related topics
- Making decisions and solving problems —
- Analyzing information and evaluating results to choose the best solution and solve problems
- Organizing, planning, and prioritizing work to accomplish defined deadlines and goals
- Documenting/recording work in a manner that enables tractability and independence to ensure that the work flow is not jeopardized by the absence of specific team members
Highly sought attributes include:
- PhD degree in Bioinformatics-related subject, preferably with 3-5 years postdoc and/or industry experience
- Experience in developing automated pipelines, mining large-scale genomic and RNA datasets, developing custom analysis tools and establishing internal repository data resources
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- A demonstrated understanding of statistics
- Understanding of genomics and molecular genetics - experience in plants and plant pests is a significant advantage
- Strong scientific curiosity, innovative thinking and focused execution
- Job Location – Norwich Research Park, Norwich, England
- Time Requirement – Full time position
- Compensation – We offer a competitive compensation package to successful candidates