About Tropic Biosciences
Based in Norwich (UK) and with a team of over 90 professionals, Tropic Biosciences is one of the world’s leading agricultural gene-editing companies. Our team is dedicated to the development and commercialization of high-performing varieties of tropical crops to provide significant benefits to growers, processors and consumers globally.
Tropic’s vision is to become a dominant seed business with significant ownership of its products from the laboratory to the field, while maintaining constructive relationships with growers and consumers based on transparency and trust.
What we are looking for
We are looking to recruit an experienced Lab Technician to work within our Plant Pathology Team. The primary aim of this Lab Technician role is to support the establishment of plant disease bioassays, screens, and trait validation activities in the context of Tropic Bioscience’s Crop Protection program. The secondary purpose of this role is to perform molecular diagnostic tests and other phytosanitary assessments.
Key responsibilities will include:
- To support the establishment of plant disease bioassays by planning and executing the production of pathogen inoculum (e.g., generation of pathogen stocks, sub-culturing of pathogen strains, fungal spore production and quantification) and assisting with inoculations and symptom scoring.
- To execute molecular plant pathology activities (e.g., gDNA extraction and qPCR for molecular diagnostics).
- To contribute to documentation of experimental data and procedures, writing protocols, SOPs and updating laboratory notebooks as well as stock and sample databases.
- To ensure an efficient running of the Plant Pathology facilities by performing maintenance tasks (e.g., sterilizing glassware, assisting with waste management, coordinating procurement and media orders, monitoring environmental conditions).
Qualifications, knowledge and key skills:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Biology/Biotechnology/Microbiology or related subjects.
- Practical experience in microbiology and aseptic work is essential, as well as a willingness to work in an environment with relatively high temperature and humidity (‘tropical glasshouse conditions’).
- Experience with molecular biology and plant handling is desirable.
- An ability to follow strict biosafety rules is essential.
- Excellent attention to detail and record keeping.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated experience in teamwork.
- Professional and clear verbal and written communication skills.
- Good organization skills and an ability to work comfortably in a fast-paced environment.
- Passionate about processes and high quality.
- Willingness to learn and to deliver, with high self-motivation demonstrated through university records and a diverse spectrum of personal interests.
- Fluent in English speaking and writing.
- Knowledge of and experience using Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, Outlook).
- Job Location – Norwich Research Park, Norwich, England
- Time Requirement - Full time position
- Compensation – We offer a competitive compensation package to successful candidates