About Tropic Biosciences
Based in Norwich (UK) and with a team of over 90 professionals, Tropic Biosciences is one of the world’s leading agricultural gene-editing companies. Our team is dedicated to the development and commercialization of high-performing varieties of tropical crops to provide significant benefits to growers, processors and consumers globally.
Tropic’s vision is to become a dominant seed business with significant ownership of its products from the laboratory to the field, while maintaining constructive relationships with growers and consumers based on transparency and trust.
What we are looking for
As we continue to expand our Rice Team, we are looking to recruit a qualified Lab Technician to undertake a variety of laboratory procedures of technical nature. You will be working within Rice team to support Rice Trait development platform, and will work with Research Scientists & Senior Lab Technicians to support the Rice Transformation Pipeline.
Key responsibilities held by this function will include:
- Execute experiments & support the rice transformation pipeline.
- Work independently & follow protocols.
- Participate in project discussions related to technology development and deployment.
- Effectively collate and submit experimental data and be prepared to discuss experimental outputs.
- Able to make technical observations, keep records of the experiments and make technical reports.
- Able to conduct experiments independently and keep all the records of the experimental data, prepare experimental project reports & should be able to discuss the same internally and externally.
- Prepare and present reports both internally and externally with minimal review.
- Identify and evaluate improvement opportunities and risks as well as contribute to, stimulate, and evaluate new ideas.
- Develops and maintains technical expertise on advances and innovations in research and science.
- involves working with other members of the team to drive the rice transformation pipeline.
- Work effectively with cross-functional teams, coordinate with different researchers/ technicians to get desired results.
Qualification, knowledge, and key skills required
- BS/ MS in Plant Biology, Plant Sciences, Plant Physiology, Agronomy, Plant Pathology or any other related discipline.
- 1-3 years of experience in industry/Institute would be beneficial.
- Experience in plant tissue culture (experience in monocot transformation is desired but not limited to) or microbiology.
- Good knowledge in Plant science, developmental biology, genetics is desired. Experience with microscopy is an added advantage.
- Be proactive and work with compliance in biosafety, quality, and stewardship.
- Knowledge and experience in working with MS Office, LIMS or any other lab data management system is desirable.
- Understands and works in compliance with EHS.
- Makes interpretative judgements of multiple and complex results.
- Actively looks to build proficiency in a broad range of techniques and to develop knowledge in relevant area(s).
- Regularly accessing scientific literature to increase their understanding of scientific landscape in Genome editing or Plant transformation.
- Regularly demonstrates innovation and creativity.
- Should be comfortable to work in a fast-paced environment and adhere to project timelines.
- The candidate should be able to bring and execute new innovative ideas to increase the transformation efficiency and overall process.
- Job Location – Norwich UK
- Time Requirement - Full time position
- Compensation – We offer a competitive compensation package to successful candidates
- Benefits – 25 days annual leave, Private Medical Insurance through Vitality, 4% employer contribution to pension, day to day cash back off of medical expenses, Group Income protection scheme, good learning and training opportunities, social events throughout the year.