About Tropic Biosciences
Based in Norwich (UK) and with a team of over 90 professionals, Tropic Biosciences is one of the world’s leading agricultural gene-editing companies. Our team is dedicated to the development and commercialization of high-performing varieties of tropical crops to provide significant benefits to growers, processors, and consumers globally.
Tropic’s vision is to become a dominant seed business with significant ownership of its products from the laboratory to the field, while maintaining constructive relationships with growers and consumers based on transparency and trust.
What we are looking for
We are looking for a Lab Technician to joinour Molecular Biology team focused on general Molecular Biology.
The General Molecular Biology roles focus on cloning, genotyping, gene editing design and vector development. You will also provide support to our RNA pipelines and help process and organize samples needed in a timely and accurate manner. This role requires good understanding of molecular biology concepts and an ability and willingness to learn new wet-lab and in silico techniques and processes. You will carry out essential general molecular biology tasks to support the Molecular Biology Team Pipelines under the close supervision and direction of the Genotyping or Cloning Lead, meeting our internal specifications and standards. Therefore, competency to perform math calculations for molecular biology is expected.
- to support the team in all genotyping, RNA, and cloning projects and adhere to rigorous workflows and SOPs (coordinate work with line manager)
- to support outsourcing of genotyping and cloning pipelines
- to follow instructions, either verbally directed or from scientific resources and SOPs
- to perform all experimental steps under the guidance of line manager or experienced researchers (gDNA/RNA extractions, data analysis, cloning, plasmid isolation, gel electrophoresis, sequencing, bacterial transformation, etc)
- to perform general housekeeping of the laboratories as required to ensure high quality standards are met
- to report any issues to line manager or Team Lead
- to support the Molecular Biology Support Services as needed (e. g. primer design, DNA/RNA extraction, qPCR, PCR, SOP development)
- to ensure that all records (databases and laboratory e-notebooks) are up to date
Qualifications, knowledge, and key skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Biology/Biochemistry/Genetics/Agriculture/Biotechnology or related subjects
- Basic practical experience in general molecular biology techniques (cloning, PCR, DNA/RNA extraction, PCR processes, agarose gels, etc.) in a relevant professional or academic environment
- Detailed and accurate record keeping
- Strong and clear written and oral communication skills to allow the exchange of information with people representing a wide diversity of disciplines and levels within the organization
- Excellent organization skills
- Attention to detail
- High self-motivation demonstrated through university records and a diverse spectrum of personal interests
- Willingness to learn and to deliver
- Proficient in working with Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Fluent in English speaking and writing
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, multi-tasked environment while consistently maintaining a positive and professional attitude
- Job Location –Norwich Research Park, Norwich, England
- Time Requirement - Full time position.
- Compensation – We offer a competitive compensation package to successful candidates
- Benefits – 25 days annual leave, Private Medical Insurance through Vitality, 4% employer contribution to pension, day to day cash back off of medical expenses, Group Income protection scheme, good learning and training opportunities, social events throughout the year.