About Tropic Biosciences
Based in Norwich (UK) and with a team of over 110 professionals, Tropic Biosciences is one of the world’s leading agricultural gene-editing companies. Our team is dedicated to the development and commercialization of high-performing varieties of tropical crops to provide significant benefits to growers, processors, and consumers globally.
Tropic’s vision is to become a dominant seed business with significant ownership of its products from the laboratory to the field, while maintaining constructive relationships with growers and consumers based on transparency and trust.
What we are looking for
The Company is looking for a Lab Technician I to execute our well-established genotyping pipelines of plant material that has undergone either transient or stable transformation in a timely and accurate manner, and to assist with the RNA pipeline to investigate gene expression. This role involves the mapping of genomic loci of interest for downstream use in genotyping projects, and the characterization of these loci of interest at the transcriptional level. The role centers on providing high quality service to our internal customers under the close supervision and direction of the Genotyping Lead and Researchers, meeting our internal specifications and standards. This role is key to the molecular characterization of all plant material generated by the Plant Biotechnology Team. The candidate will have the opportunity to learn and utilize several sequencing technologies and processes along with being exposed to other areas of molecular biology such as cloning and gene editing design and detection.
- Execute in-house Genotyping projects, adhering to the workflow and SOPs (coordinate work with Genotyping Lead, set up and execute before analysis)
- Support outsourcing of genotyping pipelines
- Report any issues to your line manager
- Report issues in Genotyping projects to Genotyping Lead and/or Molecular Biology Team Lead
- Design, plan, execute and validate PCRs to generate SNP/gene maps for target loci
- Perform all genotyping steps (from gDNA extractions through to data analysis)
- Perform all RNA steps (from RNA extraction to qPCR)
- Support the RNA pipeline as needed (performing key steps of the pipeline in a timely and accurate manner, SOP development).
- General housekeeping of the laboratories, as required, to ensure high quality standards are met.
- Support the Genotyping Group as needed (e. g. SOP development and organization of gene maps)
- Ensure that all records (databases and laboratory e-notebooks) are up to date.
Qualifications, knowledge, and key skills
- BSc degree in Biochemistry/Genetics/Biological Sciences or related field
- Experience of Molecular Biology in a professional environment (academia / industry) desirable
- Detailed and accurate record keeping
- Competency to perform math calculations for molecular biology
- Strong and clear written and oral communication skills to allow the exchange of information with people representing a wide diversity of disciplines and levels within the organization
- Ability to follow instructions, either verbally directed or from scientific resources and SOPs
- Excellent organization skills
- Ability to work independently within the laboratory
- Willingness to learn and to deliver
- Proficient in working with Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Fluent in English speaking and writing
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, multi-tasked environment while consistently maintaining a positive and professional attitude
- Job Location –Norwich Research Park, Norwich, England
- Time Requirement - Full time position.
- Compensation – We offer a competitive compensation package to successful candidates
- Benefits – 25 days annual leave, Private Medical Insurance through Vitality, 4% employer contribution to pension, day to day cash back off of medical expenses, Group Income protection scheme, good learning and training opportunities, social events throughout the year.