About Tropic Biosciences
Based in Norwich (UK) and with a team of over 90 professionals, Tropic Biosciences is one of the world’s leading agricultural gene-editing companies. Our team is dedicated to the development and commercialization of high-performing varieties of tropical crops to provide significant benefits to growers, processors and consumers globally.
Tropic’s vision is to become a dominant seed business with significant ownership of its products from the laboratory to the field, while maintaining constructive relationships with growers and consumers based on transparency and trust.
What we are looking for
We are looking for a qualified Research Scientist to oversee the execution of routine to technically diverse and challenging assignments required to characterize all plant material that has undergone either transient or stable transformation. You will prepare and supervise execution of all aspects of the molecular analysis (genotyping) pipelines: marker design, experimental set up, tissue testing, interpretation of results, troubleshooting, and expedite analysis. This role will be part of the Molecular Biology Team developing high throughput genotyping pipelines alongside the Genotyping Lead and will be involved in delivering critical technology to reach project milestones. You will be responsible for high quality assays, design and results interpretation and for communicating recommendations to stakeholders, as well as communicating resource needs to the team management. You will help the Genotyping Lead manage a small team of research technicians as well as driving decisions on resourcing across a complex portfolio of projects and ensures that strict adherence to our internal specifications and standards is maintained.
Key responsibilities held by this function will include:
- To align with Genotyping and Team Lead on task allocation of all technicians that support the Genotyping Group and follow up on their progress
- To plan, organise, troubleshoot and QC day-to-day operations to ensure high quality deliverables of selected projects
- To perform bench work and data analysis as required
- To support the development and implementation of QC and assurance processes including traceable laboratory records, raw data/stocks storage, and databases
- To check and sign off all records (databases and laboratory e-notebooks) updated by the technicians assigned to their selected projects
- To develop novel strategies and improvements to implement in the genotyping pipelines
- To interpret and present results to internal clients and recommend course of action (if applicable)
- To compile genotyping results (gene editing/GMO efficiencies), interpretation of metadata and suggestions for improvements (to targeting/selection strategy etc)
- To curate databases
- To ensure cleanliness, order, and lack of contamination within the genotyping spaces
Qualification, knowledge, and key skills required
- PhD in a relevant field (Cell Biology, Molecular Biology, Cellular Medicine, Biotechnology, Biochemistry or closely related field) with direct experience in molecular biology and/or large genotyping projects (from gDNA/RNA extractions through to data analysis) and the manipulation of nucleic acids and experience with diverse sequencing technologies
- Expert in genotyping assays (PCR, NGS) and able to scale up
- Background and hands on experiences on gene editing technologies is a plus
- Proficient in NGS analysis (Next generation sequencing) preferred
- Excellent organization skills
- Strong and clear written and oral communication skills to allow the exchange of information with people representing a wide diversity of disciplines and levels within the organization
- Proficient in working with Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Fluent in English – speaking and writing
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, multi-tasked environment while consistently maintaining a positive and professional attitude
- Good team player, strong execution, and flexibility to handle changes
- Job Location – Norwich UK
- Time Requirement - Full time position
- Compensation – We offer a competitive compensation package to successful candidates
- Benefits – 25 days annual leave, Private Medical Insurance through Vitality, 4% employer contribution to pension, day to day cash back off of medical expenses, Group Income protection scheme, good learning and training opportunities, social events throughout the year.