About Tropic Biosciences
Based in Norwich (UK) and with a team of over 90 professionals, Tropic Biosciences is one of the world’s leading agricultural gene-editing companies. Our team is dedicated to the development and commercialization of high-performing varieties of tropical crops to provide significant benefits to growers, processors and consumers globally.
Tropic’s vision is to become a dominant seed business with significant ownership of its products from the laboratory to the field, while maintaining constructive relationships with growers and consumers based on transparency and trust.
What we are looking for
The successful applicant will lead all Tropic Biosciences’ operations and will report to the CTO, working in collaboration with the wider senior leadership team. The role will take ownership for implementing the strategic growth plans through successful collaborations with the science teams, driving productivity, efficiencies, and quality in our day-to-day operations. The role is broad and involved in its scope, requiring a balance between strategic input and operational delivery, driving a culture of continuous improvement. Leading a team of c10 people, building on the culture is fundamental to success, ensuring people are motivated and happy in their work.
You will provide cross-functional, strategic leadership across several key business functions within the General and R&D Operations Organization, including but not limited to:
- Oversee all R&D Lab Management.
- Manage facilities and operations personnel across Tropic, partnering with Business Unit Heads, driving first-class facilities and operations service.
- Maintain and improve H&S standards.
- Oversee Quality Management.
- Develop robust and effective maintenance and facilities plans.
- Plan and manage all significant property alterations, acquisitions, and disposals.
- Support the introduction of LIMS.
- Work with an external IT provider.
- Support internal procurement processes.
- Drive and support all shipping and logistics activities.
- Translate company goals into individual goals and set strategic goals for the managed team, choosing objectives that serve the aims of the company.
- Maintain staff by recruiting, selecting, orienting, and develops personal growth opportunities for the team members.
- Provide regular performance reviews and developmental conversations of employees.
Qualifications, knowledge, and key required skills
We are searching for an exceptional professional who will enjoy working as part of this growing, successful company and is looking to play a long-term role in its success. Skills and attributes required include:
- Experience of working in/running the operations of a Lab is essential
- Ability to unite people, build teams and give clear instruction where necessary.
- Ability to shape the ‘big picture’ and balance strategic direction with tangible measured operational delivery.
- A skilled team builder and communicator possessing highly developed influencing skills and with the ability to interact effectively with diverse audiences.
- Credible and professional, with sound commercial judgment and an ability to think through the broader implications.
- Strong understanding of high-performance operations and efficiency methodologies.
- Relevant experience in plant genetics or related industry would be advantageous.
- Experience in Leading an Operational team.
- Innovative, able to come up with creative solutions to challenges faced by a fast growing business.
- Able to plan and execute efficiently in a complex and changing environment.
- Job Location – Norwich UK
- Time Requirement - Full time position
- Compensation – We offer a competitive compensation package to successful candidates.
- Benefits – 25 days annual leave, Private Medical Insurance through Vitality, 4% employer contribution to pension, day to day cash back off of medical expenses, Group Income protection scheme, good learning and training opportunities, social events throughout the year.