About Tropic Biosciences
Based in Norwich (UK) and with a team of over 90 professionals, Tropic Biosciences is one of the world’s leading agricultural gene-editing companies. Our team is dedicated to the development and commercialization of high-performing varieties of tropical crops to provide significant benefits to growers, processors and consumers globally.
Tropic’s vision is to become a dominant seed business with significant ownership of its products from the laboratory to the field, while maintaining constructive relationships with growers and consumers based on transparency and trust.
What we are looking for
We are seeking an experienced plant tissue culture technician to join the Banana Biotechnology Team and provide technical support in a variety of laboratory and greenhouse procedures. You will assist the Research Scientists in developing and implementing molecular, genetic and morphological quality control assays for all our banana plant cell lines as well as perform the tissue culture work necessary to maintain and deliver high quality banana germplasm for gene editing.
Your background must demonstrate a proven ability to work collaboratively within a fun and driven team, conduct experiments independently and provide support to high quality research in a timely manner. You will be comfortable working in a dynamic, fast-changing environment, able to quickly learn and apply new techniques, work independently to a very high standard, understand and communicate results and adhere to project deadlines.
Key responsibilities include:
- Generate and maintain in vitro banana germplasm for production of novel varieties
- Support the team in developing and performing quality control tests on all banana cell lines
- Provide technical support through all stages of plant production, from cell culture to greenhouse
Qualifications, knowledge, and key required skills
- MSc in Plant Biotechnology, Plant Physiology, Plant Cell Biology, Plant Molecular Biology, Genetics or any other related discipline, or relevant industry experience.
- 1-3 years of research and development experience in industry/institute/academic laboratory would be beneficial.
- Experience in plant tissue culture, somatic embryogenesis, suspension cultures, microscopy and plant genetic transformation. Experience with various species is desirable.
- Experience in molecular biology (nucleic acid purification, PCR, RNAseq), flow cytometry and karyotyping is highly desirable.
- Knowledge and/or hands-on experience to conduct experiments, make technical observations, keep experimental records, maintain databases, prepare and present reports.
- Candidate will have a strong scientific curiosity and initiative and a drive to learn
- Enthusiasm to develop and maintain technical expertise and to participate in project discussions.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- A team player.
- Ability to conduct experiments independently and to follow procedures.
- Ability to be comfortable and flexible working within a fast-paced environment.
- Possessing a positive and proactive attitude.
- Able to adhere to project deadlines.
- Job Location – Norwich UK
- Time Requirement - Full time position
- Compensation – We offer a competitive compensation package to successful candidates.
- Benefits – 25 days annual leave, Private Medical Insurance through Vitality, 4% employer contribution to pension, day to day cash back off of medical expenses, Group Income protection scheme, Cycle to Work Scheme, good learning and training opportunities, social events throughout the year.