About Tropic Biosciences
Based in Norwich (UK) and with a team of over 110 professionals, Tropic Biosciences is one of the world’s leading agricultural gene-editing companies. Our team is dedicated to the development and commercialization of high-performing varieties of tropical crops to provide significant benefits to growers, processors, and consumers globally.
Tropic’s vision is to become a dominant seed business with significant ownership of its products from the laboratory to the field, while maintaining constructive relationships with growers and consumers based on transparency and trust.
What we are looking for
The GEiGS® (genome-editing induced gene silencing) team develops and deploys the core technology of Tropic Biosciences. We use genome-editing tools to redirect RNA-silencing genes (e.g. miRNAs) to novel targets, including pests and pathogens, to develop disease-resistant plants and novel traits!
The team works at the interface between molecular biology, plant transformation, and bioinformatics, and we are looking for a new researcher to push forward the GEiGS® technology and develop novel IP in rice.
- Test cutting-edge gene-editing techniques in our rice platform
- Manage rice transformation pipeline, with support from trained technicians
- Design and screen GEiGS® solutions to generate rice lines with novel traits
- Use cell-based assays to assess gene-editing and gene-silencing constructs
- Plan, execute, and communicate the results of fast-paced and collaborative scientific projects
- Generate novel IP by inventing new applications for GEiGS® technology
- Perform molecular biology techniques as required (cloning, PCR, RNA, etc.)
- Record experimental data in an electronic lab notebook and review entries for peers and technicians
- Train and develop colleagues at Tropic in your areas of expertise
- Proactive support of the team’s activities as a whole
- MSc/PhD (or >4 years work experience) in Plant Sciences, Biochemistry, Biology, or any other related discipline
- Good knowledge of molecular biology techniques (cloning, PCR, RNA)
- Plant transformation and tissue-culture skills, especially rice
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced and dynamic environment
- Organised and precise, able to produce accurate records and presentations
- Strong interpersonal skills, able to collaborate across teams, departments, and cultures
- Motivated self-starter with strong troubleshooting experience
- Strong scientific communication skills, able to present complex systems clearly
- 1-3 years working in a research environment (academic or commercial)
- Experience of RNA biology (in silico or wet lab), especially RNA silencing
- In-depth technical knowledge of gene-editing strategies
- Experience working with plant protoplasts
- Job Location – Norwich
- Time Requirement - Full time position.
- Compensation – We offer a competitive compensation package to successful candidates
- Benefits – 25 days annual leave, Private Medical Insurance through Vitality, Medical Cash Plan and Group Income Protection Scheme, as well as excellent learning and training opportunities and social events throughout the year
If you meet the above criteria, we would be happy to hear from you. Please apply here